From your idea to reality
You have the idea. Now let BitBox make it happen. We will not rest until your new electronics device is proven in the field. Just like the thousands of products we have already brought to life for customers across all sectors, including healthcare, agriculture, industry, energy and beyond.
Product design and development
Our hardware design engineers have a wealth of experience covering:
- Signal processing
- Analogue/digital interfacing and conversion
- Digital interface logic including programmable devices e.g FPGA
- Microprocessor based designs from tiny AVRs and PICs through mid-range devices such as ARM Cortex-M and on to large multi-core devices such as ARM Cortex-A, capable of running full operating systems e.g Linux
- Standard communication and sensor interfaces e.g SPI, I2C, I2S, 1-wire, SPDIF, CAN, RS-232/422/485, 4-20mA loop
- Radio interfaces e.g GSM, GPS, LoRa, Zigbee, BLE
- High speed interfaces including HDMI, PCIe, SATA, USB, SDRAM (DDR-3 etc), SD/eMMC, Ethernet (10/100/1000) etc. that require controlled impedances and signal integrity analysis
- Design to meet EMC standards for ESD, conducted and radiated emissions and immunity
- Design to meet safety standards for protection against electric shock, flammability etc.
- Industrial design of enclosures
Our engineers use Cadence Allegro to capture the schematic design and to generate the PCB layout. High speed designs are analysed for power and signal integrity. The schematic and PCB design system is tightly tied to our manufacturing database ensuring that the PCB assemblies flow seamlessly into manufacturing.
The BitBox methodology
Our experienced engineers will guide you through every stage of the product life cycle. From discovery and specification, to design, implementation, verification and manufacture, and then on to managing obsolescence as the product matures, we are by your side. Our meticulous process is geared to deliver exactly what you need – on time and on budget.
The complete package
Our industrial design ensures your device not only performs well – it looks great, too. We use 3D CAD tools to create bespoke enclosures or can work with commercial off-the-shelf boxes. Our experience includes folded sheet metal, CNC machined enclosures, 3D printing and injection moulding technologies. However you need it, our team can deliver a high-performing, well designed electronics product in the ideal enclosure.
All of our processes have quality built in. From revision control to our release process, we maintain tracking to ensure the integrity of the development process is protected and that our designs transition smoothly to production. Every single product designed and manufactured by BitBox is tested before shipment for your peace of mind.
BitBox is certified to ISO9001:2015 by BSI, a UKAS accredited body. This means every product we design follows a structured and controlled process which guarantees quality and reliability. We can also assist with assessing and obtaining required regulatory approvals using external testing centres for certifications like safety, EMC radiation/immunity, vibration resilience etc. under the following standards UKCA, CE, FCC, UL, DO-160G, Radio Equipment Directive (RED), RoHS, REACH etc.
Frequently asked questions
To go through the phases of component selection, layout and schematics 'on average' is probably in the 2-4 month timeframe. Some jobs can be considerably less and some can be considerably more, it all depends on the scope of the requirements.
Putting our highly experienced team to one side, it really comes down to our experience in designing products that are as cost-effective as can be to manufacture. We see it time and time again on contract manufacturing jobs where 'design for manufacture' (DfM) clearly hasn't been considered which typically results in a higher unit cost driven by the extra time required in labour that could have, in many cases, been totally avoided had DfM been considered at the design stage.